06 August 2013

my wedding day: something old

You know, I'm not one for following traditions that don't mean much to me. 
But if they do, you better believe I will do them wholeheartedly. 
So "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue"...
was not something I thought a whole lot about. 
Some things just happened. 
A new dress, and mom's borrowed tennis bracelet.
But there was only one I really planned.

A few years ago I experienced one of those rare occasions 
where I got to spend some alone time with Grandma Veater.
I can't remember exactly how it came about, 
but we stumbled across this amazing head piece.
You see, grandma's mother worked in a dress shop, 
so class was in her blood and certainly not lacking on her wedding day 
[or in her whole life]
The piece was made of real, soft feathers and sprinkled with rhinestones. 
As I sat in her walk in closet and admired it, 
she told me how she had worn it with her exit outfit when her and my grandpa were married.
Right then it became even more magical.

She told me I could have it if I wanted, and asked if I would ever use it. 
I gave a resounding yes and tenderly wrapped it in tissue paper, placed it in a box,
and quietly planned the day when I would wear it.

I don't know if she noticed, and you can hardly tell in pictures
but it sure meant something to me to have a part of my heritage with me on my wedding day. 
Thanks for giving me the classiest something old a girl could have, grandma.

2 comments:

comments are my love language.