06 January 2020

You are not worthless

Satan is good at this.

This message that we are too old, too broken, too worn... that we are worthless.

We live in a world, where when something is broken- it gets replaced. It doesn't get lovingly patched, or glued and clamped and polished back to its former glory (or rebuilt to a completely new and improved state). It gets thrown out and replaced with something newer, shinier.. less... worthless.

I don't believe that. I never have. The fact that you are still here, that you are still standing begs to differ.

You see, you just need the touch of the right hands. To be seen by the right eyes. The eyes of somebody who knows your spirit, and not your facts**. Never have I seen more unique and beautiful pieces of furniture than I have in a store full of items someone chose to leave behind. Never. Some are broken, most are mendable, and all can be useful (and beautiful) to the right person. Actual treasures disguised as misfits.

But you see, the fact that they are still here usually means that they are made from solid wood. Their current situation means NOTHING about their actual worth. Nothing. It just means that somebody else didn't see it. But their worth has not somehow run out. I admire the hell out of those solid wood bones, and buttery, worn, leather cushions. The grit of the upholstery fabric that's made it through 50 years of use, and the outdated wedding dresses.

I believe this because it just speaks plainly as truth to me. But aside from that, believing this makes the world a less hopeless place. It makes the world a place full of hidden treasures instead of mismatched throw-aways. A simple change in perspective makes it that, but it already existed that way and always has.

Something inside of me feels connected to this idea. The concept of rebirth and renewal. In repurposed clothing and furniture, in lovingly cared for and transformed homes. Sometimes it's a new coat of stain or paint and sometimes old floors and walls are ripped out entirely. But I think that's the most satisfying thing in my life. Finding something or someone and seeing them. Really seeing them. Sometimes it takes work, and sometimes it's a gift granted. But I hope you have that experience someday.

Maybe it all speaks to me because I am not plastic. I've never felt perfect or shiny. I have however, after much effort, felt new.

I am not disposable. I am strong, rich, warm wood and can be made new again.


**As a side not, I believe God can be this for each of us because we each will feel like nobody knows us at one point in our life... it's just part of the human experience

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are my love language.