07 August 2017

The sea and my soul

After the last trip to grandma's house I thought it was bad, but this trip really sealed the deal. I now have a two year old that dreams of California, and in all her games of pretend tells me she's going on a plane to California. And every time I answer the pretend phone she says it's "California" on the other line.

My California-born heart has been a little weepy over the whole thing. I don't think Jay and I will ever end up back in California (But you never know, fate may make me eat my words) but that state really is something to behold. And I feel like I've been spoiled to spend my time on the central coast and in the foothills, where my girl CA really shines bright.

This happens to have been one of my favorite family beach trips on record. Although the flu hit us hard starting with Rory the night we arrived and subsequently hit almost everyone (whyyy did it have to be the flu!?) we really did have a good time. The flu kept us fairly cooped up, but whoever was well at the time spent their days playing cornhole, walking the beach, and building sandcastles with the babies. Jay is always the master fire-builder and we had lots of good bonfires and watched fireworks on the 4th from the sand.

My soul mostly is home in the mountains, but there's something calming about the sea.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are my love language.