23 January 2020

the why of church attendance.

Everybody who has ever been a regular church attender asks themselves the same question at some point- "why?"

If I have a relationship with Christ and I'm being a good person- why?

Well, I've found my mind wandering back to this part of my conversion lately, and often. And maybe you have too.

There are many answers to this question and I think we all have multi-faceted reasons to come to church. However, there's one I’ve thought about that resonates with me and I really feel like rings true to my heart.

Church gives me the framework to serve. It connects me to people who I can interact with and learn from, and grow together with... which I think is an integral part of the growth of our souls. Our souls yearn for family and people and connection and service. Our souls yearn for Christlike outward focused experience.

And maybe you're thinking I'm missing the point. Don't we all go to church to feel close to God? To feel the influence of the Holy Ghost? Well, yes. That too. But for me, the older I've gotten the more that is an added benefit. It's the wonderful, hoped for, cherry on top.

But sometimes you're walking the halls with a crying baby, or nursing in the mothers lounge or distracted by trying to keep your toddler occupied and quiet during sacrament. And these are the more realistic moments for me. So if I start a conversation or feel connected to a sister in Relief Society or the nursing lounge or teach something new that gets a smile or a shared impression out of one of the girls I teach I count it as a worthwhile Sabbath.

And when I switch my focus to doing that half of it, I almost always more frequently feel that spirit and closeness with God I so long for. I think our souls are on a wavelength where they are more susceptible to that Spirit when we are focused outward.

I think there are a million worthy reasons to attend church, but for today, in this current phase and moment, that's mine.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think there are so many thinks our spirit needs, that connection being a huge one. God knew we needed it and provided that framework for not only learning but also connecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Connection is huge, and hard for me. So I'm grateful for that framework.

      Delete

comments are my love language.