16 February 2018

First trimester: the good, the bad, the nausea

This pregnancy has been hard to be excited about more than nervous for. I guess that's what a miscarriage does to you. I didn't mind telling close friends about my pregnancy after two healthy ultrasounds, but I still hesitate to press publish on anything public. I sit here at almost 13 weeks just barely writing something down for the first time, and still not sure when it will be shared.

The only thing I can say, is it has to be sooner than later because bumps don't hide themselves for long on a third pregnancy. It's like your body has muscle memory and remembers what's coming and just decides to go ahead and do the dang thing earlier rather than later. I mean, I already have the stretch marks, so may as well get some room going for that little prune size baby and its  accompanying home before we get uncomfortably tight. 

The nausea has been ever-present, and though it has slowed considerably, it still rears its lovely head every night around 9 to... lull me to sleep. Punk. It was present through the move, and through Christmas, and through being at our new house every night until ungodly hours installing floors while Rory slept. Still no puking- not that I anticipated any after my 15 year clean streak. I used to feel a little sorry for myself that I couldn't throw up when I was so nauseous, but after hearing from other mamas that pregnancy barf doesn't relieve any nausea like the flu does,  I cut that right out. Faking non-sickness is a lot easier when you don't have to run to the bathroom to lose your lunch.



And now it's just past 14 weeks and here we are. Sporting a bump that I feel like is the same size as 19 weeks with Rory, finally not absolutely NEEDING a nap while Rory naps (though often I still would like to), getting a little more organized at home, and not dreading cooking (though still dreading the nighttime hours when the nausea rears its head).

We're still doing the one car gig, which honestly takes some stress off of me because I sit in my bed and do research for things online instead of feeling like I should be out and about with my two year old. We play at home, and I fully enjoy being her mom. Though I should say, I have to watch my temper with her more than I usually do (dang hormones make everything harder).


And today... gaining speed on that 18 week mark, I'm finally getting around to (hopefully) polishing off this post. I get asked regularly how I'm feeling. And mostly, I'm feeling good! The glorious second trimester is here, we are coming up on all the exciting stuff like the fetal anatomy ultrasound, decorating a nursery, and actually feeling like I can tackle more than just keeping Rory alive and living for the next nap.

I am trying REALLY hard to keep up with exercise, mostly for my health but also to try and keep aches and pains at bay and (cross my fingers!) have an easier recovery than last time. Because I definitely cried real tears when I was out of pain pills after having Rory. The exercise front has been tough since we are in a new city, with less space, and no gym membership close but I've been getting in a workout twice a week and I can still run a mile without cramping which I'm counting as a win.

Overall, this pregnancy has been far from hard compared to what a lot of women go through, but the second trimester itself is less breezy than it seemed to be with Rory. Maybe I'm older, maybe I am just using more energy and mental capacity keeping up with a two year old. Either way, I am just so happy for a (so far) uncomplicated and healthy pregnancy and a body that is taking it in stride. What a miracle.




No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are my love language.