09 October 2017

A nursery reveal, two years late.

It's been two and a half years, so I guess it's about time for a nursery reveal. 

We knew the moment we first walked into this house that this tiny corner room would be the nursery. It is tiny and wonderful and after painting the walls a ghastly too-dark shade of raspberry pink, we found the perfect peachy pink shade for the walls. Muted, but just a little girly. (Behr Almond Kiss if you wanted to know!)

Everything in this room is gifted, second hand, discount (hello, swivel rocking chair from TJMaxx and cheap Amazon curtains!) or handmade and I love the way it all came together. It's the most meaningful and sentimental room in the house and I'll forever think of my sweet baby Rory in it. 

It's also the room that (aside from re-painting) required the least amount of prep work. It was a lovely shade of lilac when we bought the house as opposed to the terrible, pealing, cheap, brown paint everywhere else and it seemed to be mostly well-cared for. (we won't talk about the 150+ nail holes I had to fill on my office walls. I counted. It was unbelievable) 

We've since moved Rory to a twin bed, put the crib in storage, and sold the changing table. A lot seems to be changing with a very indefinite future ahead.  Lately, and very poignantly since June I've spent an extra allotment of time in this room with Rory trying to soak her in. I know she won't be little and full of adventure in this tiny nursery again and to me it feels like sacred ground. 

A couple of details for those interested:
-the mobile I made myself. I knew I wanted Rory's nursery to have a somewhat floral theme and I had the idea for it in my head and couldn't find exactly what I wanted-so I made it.
-the banner is a hand-painted gift from my sister that hung across the mantle at Rory's baby shower in California. She's the best sister ever. 
-The unicorn lamp is Target, and one of the only full-priced items pictured, because it's amazing. 
-and the little nightstand was a thrashed little thing I found for $5 secondhand and sanded down to re-paint with a tiny test-color pot of paint that cost maybe $2 at home depot.  It makes for the perfect little bookshelf.











No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are my love language.